Crafting a Descriptive Essay
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
How to Approach Writing a Descriptive Essay
The practice and craft of writing is one that can be expanded on through different practices and exercises. One of the ways that this can be done is through the descriptive essay. This allows you to focus on an object, subject or situation and write a response to it. If you are doing this, then you will want to make sure that you focus on different literary elements, all which will help you to develop a stronger paper for your English course. Following are some of the elements to keep in mind as you write your description.
1. Tone. The tone of a descriptive essay is different than the formal academic papers that are usually required. You will want to keep a neutral tone for the description that you are writing. However, this should be combined with a focus on writing about the particular object, event or subject to create the right tone. This tone is similar to the format of a reflection essay.
2. Organization. While you are writing, you will want to make sure that you communicate the object or subject to the reader in the right manner. The easiest way to do this is to make sure that you organize your topic in the right way. Typically, this will mean describing one specific concept or idea in each paragraph. For instance, if you are looking at an object, then you can look at the color and describe this in one section. You can change the description in the next paragraph to other elements that are a part of this object.
3. Detailing the description. One of the crafts that are a part of the descriptive essay is based on the details that you provide. You want to make sure that you look at every detail that is a part of the university essay writing. More importantly, you will want to consider the smaller parts of the object or subject. This will make a difference in how effective your description is as well as what is communicated through your essay.
4. Literary techniques. Even though you are describing something that you are looking at or that has occurred, you will still want to use literary techniques to enhance your paper. This will create a personal relationship to the reader and will help with the description you are providing. Metaphor, simile, personification and imagery are some of the popular techniques that you can use for your essay.
5. Theme based papers. Even though you want detail to be provided, as well as literary techniques, you will also want to know what not to include. The craft of writing doesn’t just include providing all the information but also means knowing what to leave out of your writing. You want to make sure that everything you describe fits with the main theme of your paper. If you aren’t sure how to do this, then looking at essay examples can provide you with the right approach.
The different elements that you include in your descriptive essay can provide you with a specific approach to this essay. There are several components that are a part of this, all which will make a difference in the effectiveness of your paper. The more that you are able to work on the craft of this type of paper, the more effective you will be in communicating the description of an object, event or subject.