So much has been said about college application essays. This is because the subject is relatively quite critical. And yet neither applicants nor their parents seem to give this the attention that it merits. Many candidates believe that their high SAT and good grades will turn the trick for them. Often this does not happen. The reason for this is that hundreds if not thousands of candidates also have high SAT scores and exemplary grades.
Fortunately essay writing is within the capabilities of even average students. Here are a few tips that will help you write essay.
1. Make your paper interesting. Your essay should stand out in a crowd of other essays. If you want the admissions officer to sit up and take notice, it has to be different. Use your creativity and keep the interest going right through the paper.
2. Use everyday language. Admissions officers are busy people. Do not force them to use a dictionary to try and decipher what you have written. Try not to use words that are more than four characters long. This is not always possible. But when there is a smaller, simpler word, avoid those that are not used in daily speech.
3. Write a little about yourself. The admissions officer wants to know about you and not just about your writing skills. Let the essay reveal your personality. But be subtle while doing this. You should not be saying what an altruistic person you are. The reader should understand this about you from an experience that you narrate.
4. Be precise. In trying to be brief you consciously cut out the fuzz. This way an admissions officer will not have to read through a sheaf of literature before your personality comes through.
5. Do not use slang. The use of slang can be quite inappropriate.
6. Always write in the active voice. You could use passive voice verbs where absolutely necessary. But unrestrained use of passive voice verbs could make your admissions paper boring.
7. Be critical of what you have written. It would be a good idea to ask others to read your essay. Tell them in advance what they should look for in the paper.
8. Review and revise. Go through your paper as many times as required. If you feel that the paper is not achieving its intended objectives, make necessary changes.
9. While revising focus not only on simplicity and shortness of sentences, but also on paragraph and sentence constructions. Make sure there is consistency between the paragraphs.
10. Make sure that your conclusion is well-built. If it is not an effective summary of all that you have said before, rewrite it till it comes out as something that will make it outstanding and leave a positive impression with the reader.
Writing exceptional college application essays comes naturally to only a very few. Others acquire the skill by hard work. Prepare and practice sufficiently. That is the secret of application essays that achieve the desired result. Good writing skill is a basic requirement to a good career. Besides, numerous examples will also be very helpful. It will come in handy all through your life.